Sunday, 23 November 2014

Flash Cricket

The story in my last post, “Last Shot,” was written in response to a challenge to write a 500-word story using twenty specific words a particular order. This type of challenge is apparently called "Flash Cricket," because you have to bowl and field words. Like in cricket, I suppose - I don't know, sports metaphors are usually lost on me. (The site that coined the term is here)

These are fun – they force you think on your feet, to write without preconceived ideas and fit it all into the short space provided by flash fiction. I can thoroughly recommend an exercise like this for any writers who are in-between bigger projects or just looking to try something different.

For those who are interested, below are the words that "Last Shot" was written from:

Fifth
Investment
Steep
Chef
Protest
Minute
Window
Running
Apostate
Borderline
Tackle
Glitter
Purring
Hogtied
Curse
Surreal
Lavish
Hiss
Troglodyte
Scattered

No comments:

Post a Comment